Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Albuquerque, NM

Part of my job entails me to travel 3 times a year and for my last trip of the year we were off to Albuquerque, NM ! If you've never been to Albuquerque, it's such an amazing place to be. Surprisingly, it wasn't as hot or humid as I initially thought it would be - it was perfect the entire weekend!

When getting closer to landing at the airport in NM, you would see nothing but beautiful mountains and desert land. You wouldn't think that we were landing in nearby civilization until the airplane took a quick turn around the mountain and then - TA DA the city of Albuquerque appears! From the plane, you would just see the town of Albuquerque and no other nearby town was in sight (kind of strange, but nice)

                                                             View from our hotel room

Albuquerque really adheres to it's culture. Right from the airport to houses; everything gave the New Mexico vibe in its presence with its architecture. It made you feel like you were at a vacation resort with everything being so themed- it was neat!

Our hotel was beautiful and also themed to the culture of the surrounding area. Though it was under renovation, it wasn't a burden to its customers at all. Everything was pretty much brand new. I shared my room with a fellow co-worker and our room was amazing; different from any other layout and design I've seen thus far. Now, if you don't already know me I'm a bit of a germaphobe- germs freak me out and hotels don't add to this annoying phobia that I have haha. I informed my manager the day before leaving that I should have informed my roommate about my weird germaphobic ways. He obviously teased me for my weirdness for I don't lay on hotel bedding or sheets. I always have to lay out the big towels they provide you with and always have to call up for more. I lay the towels on the bed and pillows and don't allow myself to touch anything. I've already admitted that I'm weird and know it so no making fun, please :) hah Well to my much surprise, I arrived in my room and there they were, towels already laid out for me with a note (from my manager) that read "You're Welcome" and I was a happy camper.

Our first nights on our trips always entail a very nice dinner with everyone from work, including a favorite board member who always attends these weekend events. We went to this amazing restaurant with an awesome location - at the top of the Sandia Mountain! You had to take a tram up the mountain and you could see all of Albuquerque on the trek up. The restaurant has a beautiful view of the city and we went up right at sundown and saw the sunset over the mountains in the distance. My awesome nice manager knew I have a little bit of a fear of heights and decides to attempt to rock the tram on the way up to give me a good scare but luckily was unsuccessful due to the sturdiness of the tram- thank you God!



                                          The view on the way up the mountain on the tram

After taking a million pictures once we arrive at the top of the mountain, we walked to the restaurant for our reservations at 7:30pm. Little did we know that we would be waiting another hour before being seated - it was ridiculous. However, we were just happy to finally be seated and our stomachs were ready for some GOOD food! I had the pork tenderloin wrapped in bacon, sweet mashed potatoes and asparagus with a turtle cheesecake that Sarah and I shared -- yummo! Fun fact for the day: did you know that asparagus makes your pee smell? I was informed of this once again from my awesome manager :) haha He knows everything. After our delicious dinner we trecked down the mountain on the tram and boy do the temperatures DROP at night time in Albuquerque. So cold.

The next day entailed of our event and sole reason of our visit out to NM. I was the first to present in our day long seminar and I completely flopped this time around. I don't know what happened but I completely let me nerves get the best of me and I stumbled with my words a lot. Luckily, I was the first and then soon forgotten by the other speakers who went after me and I was fine. We all met a lot of nice people who attended and I'll tell you, Albuquerque residents are so proud of where they hale from! They loved to share stories of their childhood growing up and what they did in the area- it was awesome though, I love hearing stories like that!

After our eventful day we all were able to rest for a few hours before dinner that night. Sarah and I chose to relax by the pool and read our new books and catch some sun.

                                                                            Sarah!

My only request for this trip was to eat somewhere with authentic New Mexican food - and my manager did not fail me. We went to Sadie's where we were dined with sangria's and delicious food. Now, New Mexico is known for their chili's; they're everywhere and I mean everywhere. They hang outside from houses, shops and restaurants all over - it's pretty crazy. My biggest fear was that I'd eat something that was too spicy that I wouldn't enjoy but gratefully received mild enchiladas with yummy green sauce. New Mexican food is a lot different from regular Mexican food, so I highly suggest you venture out and try some if you can. The atmosphere at Sadie's was really neat and they even had a man present to sing and play his guitar. With songs by Elvis, George Strait and others playing in the background of our delicious feast, Sadie's was a great choice for us to dine.

Now, some may say I was a party pooper after dinner but I was so exhausted as I usually am from these weekend events plus now the added time change. After dinner, I decided to go back to the hotel, relax, shower and pack since I had to be at the airport at 6am the next morning. A few of the others went to go out and enjoy the town for night life (even though there is hardly anything to do in Albuquerque) and I went to my room for the night.

As the end of this eventful weekend concluded, I left with some good memories and experiences in Albuquerque and would love to go back to experience more of the authentic, quaint town in the future.

This post goes out to my awesome friend ANIBSHO :)

1 comment:

  1. I love this post. And it has nothing to do with the fact that I got a SHOUT OUT! lol. You should fire your manager, he sounds like a horrible person who wouldn't even be able to win a dance contest against a cheerleader. I'm just sayin.

    I googled Albe, NM to get a taste of what you meant about coming around the mountain. It is so neat- they really are all along that river. Very cool. Can't wait to see the pics!!

    ReplyDelete